Am I Too Lost in Sin?
Dear Friend, I know that you feel trapped in sin and shame. It seems like you can’t get free. But, I am here to tell you – you can be set free because Jesus is the Victor over sinand can give you the power to change.
How can you let Him have power in your life to change and to really be set free?
Consider these steps and truths from the Bible:
1. Repent. Repent from these sins. Admit you have sinned. Pour out your remorse and guilt to the Lord. Read Psalm 51 where David cries out to the Lord and confesses his sin to God; sins of adultery and murder.
2. Confess that Jesus has died for the sins you committed and has paid the penalty for them. “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” Rom. 3:23
“But, now he has appeared once of all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of Himself; Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people “Heb. 9:26, 28;
“God made Him Who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.” 1Cor. 5:21
“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
3. Believe that Christ’s payment for your sins is sufficient to get you to heaven and sufficient for reconciliation with God. Romans 6:23 says: “The wages of sin is death, but, the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ the Lord.”
Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father, but, by Me.” John 14:6 4.
Ask Jesus to become your Lord and Savior. Maybe you only believed in Him as Savior and didn’t give Him the opportunity to become Lord; to be in control of your life. He needs to be Lord of your life so you can be changed.
2 Cor. 5:17 says, “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!”
Pray this prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner in need of forgiveness. I turn my life over to you because I believe that You died for my sins and You are the only way to heaven and to have peace with God. You are the only One who can save and forgive me. Please cleanse me of my sins, come into my life and change me today. In Jesus’ Name I ask this. Amen
In Matt 28:20 Jesus says this: “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (NIV) I John 5:20 says: “We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true– even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.”(NIV)
If you have just placed your trust in Jesus Christ, you are now a Christian on your way to heaven and nothing can an separate you from the love of Christ. You are starting a brand new life. Now, plan to make some changes in your life and lifestyle. Once you pray the prayer to receive Christ you can take steps to go in the right direction and follow Christ because you have the power of the Holy Spirit in your life and the Bible to guide you.
Make a Plan to:
1. Read your Bible everyday and pray. Purchase a newer translation so it is easier to read such as the NIV or the New Living Translation. Read the gospels and the New Testament so you can grow in Christ and know Him more personally.
2. Pray specifically for power to overcome the temptations and sinful behavior that you have been trapped in. Pray for new friends to support you.
3. Begin to attend a solid, evangelical church that teaches the Bible and that Jesus Christ is Savior and Lord. Read their articles of faith so you can know what church to go to. Get involved their Bible Studies, their mens groups, their single’s groups. Maybe they offer aFaithful and True group.
4. You can start on the road to recovery. You can take a giant step towards a new life if you are determined to do it and determined to put Christ on the throne of your life. You can also decide to doubt and decide to give up. It’s your choice.
5. If you want the free book An Anchor for the Soul by Ray Pritchard, contact me with your address and I will mail it to you.
6. Journal your prayers. Watch how God will work in your life. Give Him praise for every new victory and every day. He is a God of grace. He will have mercy. He does forgive.
Read Psalm 103.
Consider counseling with a pastor or Christian counselor. This along with reading the Word of God will help you sort out the guilt issues you struggle with and determine whether your guilt is true or false.
Remember that (God’s) “love covers a multitude of sins” (1 Peter 4:8) We don’t know our hearts very well, but God knows us and His forgiveness is complete and eternal because Jesus Christ has paid the penalty for our sins and “not for our sins only, but the sins of the whole world” (1 John 2:1-2). (NIV)
Read more about how to deal with guilt in the articles/links below.
Order the following books: What a Christian Believes; An Easy to Read Guide to Understanding by Pastor Ray Pritchard or What’s So Amazing about Grace? by Phillip Yancey for a better understanding of the Christian life and God’s love for you.
©copyright 2016 by Lynette J. Hoy, NCC, LCPC